the Microtones library
this open-source plugin suite aims at extending sibelius 7+ to allow it to handle microtonal music (up to the eighth-tone) and play it back with various synthesizers (currently kontakt 5 and max/msp).
this library offers among others the following features:
- insertion of microtones in the music
- transposition using microtonal intervals
- precise polyphonic playback of microtonal music with kontakt and max/msp, without the requirement for pitch bends (the standard playback system of sibelius is limited to monodies, and its use of pitch bends entails undesired pitch glitches in the rendering)
- handling of microtonal scales, build scales, check if the music material belongs to a given scale, warping from one scale to another one, transpose notes to the closest member of a microtonal scale, etc.
- handling of microtonal artificial harmonics and microtonal glissandi
the development of this library has been commissioned by the cirm studios, nice, france
this library is under a creative commons license. its non-commercial use is free. it can be downloaded on the project’s website.